A typical grain bill for a whiskey mash normally consists of malted barley with other added grains such as corn, rye or wheat.
Hot water (hot liquor) is added with the grain which allows the enzymes in the malt to break down the starch in the grain into sugars.
How do you make your own moonshine?
How to Make Moonshine the Old-Fashioned Way in 6 Easy Steps
- 1. Make the Mash. The process begins by heating five gallons of water to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow the Mash to Ferment. Fermentation is the time when yeast works its magic and turns corn mash into alcohol.
- Ready the Still.
- Start the Distilling Process.
- The Different Parts of the Moonshine.
- Knowing the Difference.
How much moonshine will 5 gallons of mash make?
A 1 gallon run will yield 3-6 cups of alcohol. A 5 gallon run will yield 1-2 gallons of alcohol. A 8 gallon run will yield 1.5-3 gallons of alcohol.
What is fermented grain mash?
Mashing Defined. Mashing is the brewer’s term for the hot water steeping process which hydrates the barley, activates the malt enzymes, and converts the grain starches into fermentable sugars. There are several key enzyme groups that take part in the conversion of the grain starches to sugars.
Can moonshine kill you?
Ethanol contains two carbon atoms and is somewhat toxic (it’ll kill you if you drink enough of it, so pace yourself) whereas methanol contains one carbon atom and is highly toxic (can cause permanent damage to the optic nerve and death even in fairly low doses, pacing won’t help, best to avoid altogether).
Why is moonshine illegal?
Moonshine is any illegally made distilled alcohol. Classically it is corn liquor distilled from fermented corn and / or sugar. Distilling alcohol without state and federal permits is illegal in every single state in the US. Making moonshine is illegal because the government wishes to collect tax revenue.
How do you make corn vodka?
How to distill vodka
- Make a mash. Advertisement. Boil potatoes for an hour.
- Ferment. Add brewers’ yeast to the mash in the ratio recommended on the packet and leave the mixture somewhere warm (around 29°C) for three to five days. Fermentation turns the carbohydrates into ethanol.
- Distil. Advertisement.
- Purify. Repeat if you want purity.
What is flaked maize?
Flaked Maize (Corn) SKU: 3200C-bto. Grain Type: Unmalted Adjunct Grains. Produced from yellow corn that has had the germ, oil and most of the protein removed, Yellow Corn Flakes produce a beer with a mild, less malty flavor and body than an all-malt beer. Yellow Corn Flakes also produce a drier, more crisp beer.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”